“There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.” ― Leonard Cohen
I am a qualified, accredited therapist working in North Dublin. Originally from England, I have lived in Dublin since 2006, raising my family here. I started my training in South Dublin in 2012, and my passion has taken me to research and develop a deep interest and understanding of Attachments. I believe having this understanding enhances my work with depression, anxiety, bereavement and grief, trauma and parent-adolescent work, in addition to the therapist-client relationship.
As part of my work, I believe it is important to continue to learn from my clients, and research, in order to shape and develop the counselling profession. For this reason, I involve myself in research and previously co-facilitated a group for psychotherapists to share ideas. I am also a lecturer and Student Support Manager at IICP College; supporting and encouraging students in their own counselling careers. This has seen me teach ‘Microskills of Counselling’, ‘Personal Development’, ‘Research Methods’, 'Pluralism' and 'Ethics and Values', as well as lecture in 'Professional Skills' and 'Attachment Workshop'.
It is also important for me to use my skills in other areas of my life. As such I am a director with Empowerment Plus. This charity organisation work within the community to "empower young people, families and communities at risk live just and fulfilling lives".
Previously, I have helped to raise awareness of Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis for Arthritis Ireland, and also featured in a book of which the proceeds were donated to the Marie Keating Foundation.
My qualifications include:
- Primary Degree: Master of Arts Degree in Pluralistic Counselling and Psychotherapy - 2017
- Diploma in Supervision - 2019-Ongoing
- Emotion Focused Skills Training for Parents - 2018
- Proactive Approach to Solution Focused work with Adolescents - 2017
- Level One Attachment Based Family Therapy Workshop – 2016
- Certificate in Child and Adolescent Counselling – 2015
- Certificate in Mindfulness – 2015
- B.A (Hons) Degree in Integrative Counselling and Psychotherapy – 2015
- Applied Suicide Interventions Skills Training 2009 & 2014
- Certificate in Facilitation Skills - 2013
- Certificate in Module Assistance (including Microskills, Bereavement, Loss and Grief, Certificate Programme) – 2014-2016
- Presented a case study as part of a panel - SEPI 2018 Conference – 2018
- Presented my research study poster "Are we missing the family context?" - SEPI 2018 Conference – 2018